August 29, 2007

Home Bar Plans: Planning 101 - Don't Forget the Restroom


In my haste to get my bar design planned out and start building, I neglected one of the key factors that can kill the social gathering power of even the most awesome home bar design...the restroom.

Yes, nothing can keep people from congregating at the bar and just having a good time like the long trek upstairs to the bathroom. First, one person goes, then another, and then they run into each other in the kitchen and start to talk. Then a third comes up, and so on and so on. Next thing you know, you're mixing drinks for yourself and everyone else is hanging out upstairs.

It's one of those weird laws of the universe that makes no sense, but I've seen it happen hundreds of times. The whole point of having a home bar is to make sure your friends are comfortable and having a good time just like they would be at the local pub...and who would go to the pub if they had to hike upstairs every time they had to pee? I know I wouldn't, so I've just added a 1/2 bathroom to my home bar plans. It will definitely up the cost and the time to build, but I think it will definitely be worth it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go look for a plumber...

No comments: